Thanks for stopping by to read my Proofread Anywhere review. The benefits of more time and fewer expenses make the work-at-home lifestyle worth it. But, as you probably know, it’s not easy to get started. And it can be scary...
There are countless courses that promise to make it easier, and Proofread Anywhere is one of them. Is it a scam though?
I’ll get into that... as well as what it teaches, how much it costs, and more importantly... dig into the Proofread Anywhere reviews and summarize what people are saying.
This Proofread Anywhere review has been researched and reviewed with information and testimonials that are available online in the public domain. Any conclusions drawn by myself are opinions.
What Is Proofread Anywhere?
Proofread Anywhere is an online proofreading course created by Caitlyn Pyle, who is also co-owner of theworkanywherelife.com with her husband Ben.
Caitlyn had been helping proofreaders since 2007 and in 2014 created an eBook she sold on her website. Sales of her book grew, but her readers were sending her lists of questions that although she was happy to answer... were taking a lot of time.
It turned out to be an opportunity.
To save time and get in front of those questions, she expanded her eBook into a complete course and in 2015 launched Proofread Anywhere.
By the end of 2015 her course had brought in more than $575,000 and needless to say, her life had changed forever. Today you can find her featured in publications such as Fortune, Business
Insider and Fast
Is Proofread Anywhere a Scam?
No. Proofread Anywhere is not a scam… but it's a fair question.
When it comes to making money online and working at home, people get suspicious and their defenses go up. And for good reason…
First… it’s because working from home sounds too good to be true… and most of us are conditioned to believe, if it's too good to be true, it probably is.
Second… there’s a lot of scams out there, which give the entire make-money-online industry a bad name.
You may run into people who have taken Caitlyn's course and didn’t get from it what they had hoped for… but Proofread Anywhere is the real deal and it’s highly recommended for anyone who wants to work from home in the proofreading industry.
Whether it's because of health, young ones at home, or you just want less stress in your life... earning an income from home is what you want.
Can Proofread Anywhere show you how to get it?
If you haven't already, I recommend attending Caitlyn's free 76-minute Workshop that shows you how to turn your passion for reading into a proofreading business.
How Does It Work?
It’s probably safe to say, since you’re reading this, you already have a good idea how proofreading works.
One common misconception is that proofreading is similar to editing, but that's not entirely accurate.
It’s true, any errors you find will require editing... but editing typically involves cutting out entire chunks of text, rearranging, and even re-writing entire sections before the project reaches you.
As a proofreader, you apply the finishing touch…
You'll comb through the nearly-finished document looking for things like spelling, grammar and punctuation errors.
It goes without saying that a good proofreader must have a strong eye for details.
Proofread Anywhere Reviews and Complaints
It would be great to say that everyone who has ever purchased Proofread Anywhere loved it and recommends it, but like any program or course, the reviews are mixed.
The good news is that the majority of reviews are encouraging, and people have a lot of good things to say about Proofread Anywhere. Most common are...
- Caitlyn’s course is more than a “nuts and bolts” type course. It’s a marketing course that shows you how to find work, set up your own business, and earn higher rates.
- When completed the course gives you more confidence in yourself, and your ability to manage a work-at-home career.
- Caitlyn stays in constant contact with her students though email.
Proofread Anywhere Complaints
It’s not all good news though… Proofread Anywhere has some complaints…
- No refunds once you log in. The claim here is that once you log in you’ve gained access to proprietary information.
- Errors in the course material… which wouldn’t be an issue for most courses, but… it’s a course on "proofreading" so...
- Everything you learn can be found online for free (this complaint I take exception to).
It’s true… just about anything you’d like to learn can be found online for free, but that doesn’t mean it’s easy to make sense of it or put into practice.
When I built my first website years ago, the everything is free online mentality was my way of thinking. I refused to pay a single cent to learn something online.
So… I pieced together information from multiple sources including various blogs, YouTube videos, and free tutorials. It took me a couple weeks of full days, and a lot of frustration to build that website.
A few years later I decided to pay for a how to make money online course that also included training on how to build a website. It was clear and precise, and with all of the information in a step-by-step format… my second website was up and running in less than half an hour.
Today, when it comes to courses, I don’t think twice about paying someone to teach me… and most good courses come with one-on-one help from someone with experience.
Proofread Anywhere Courses
Proofreading is not for everyone, so Caitlyn offers a free workshop, as well as a 7-day free course that will help you decide if it’s for you. The 7-day course includes videos, case studies, printable content and templates.
There are two full courses offered; General Proofreading – Theory and Practice, and Transcript Proofreading – Theory and Practice.
It’s important to know that these are not something you can knock off in a weekend. They are comprehensive, and you can expect to spend 1 – 4 months getting through them (depending on the which one you take).
General Proofreading – Theory and Practice
Module 1: Introduction to General Proofreading
Provides an overview of the skills a successful proofreader needs, who is looking for a proofreader and the differences between editing, copyediting and proofreading.
- Why Proofread?
- Skills Needed to Be an Excellent General Proofreader
- Who Needs a Proofreader?
- What a General Proofreader Does (and Doesn't) Do
- Terms Commonly (but incorrectly) used in Proofreading
- Editing at a Proofreading Rate
Module 2: Get into the Proofreading Mindset
Discusses the many types of markets you can specialize in, and teaches industry terminology.
- Proofreading Niches
- Proofreader Lingo
Module 3: Proofreading Basics
Goes over the most common errors you must keep an eye out for. This module also includes practice worksheets so you can put your new skills to the test.
- Types of Errors
- Commas and Semicolons
- Quotation Marks
- Subject and Verb Agreement
- Noun and Pronoun Agreement
- Commonly Misused Words
- American and British Spelling Variations
Module 4: Proofreading Methods and Practice
There are four different types of proofreading methods taught in this module, with in-depth lessons on how you can use them to your advantage.
- Proofreading Methods
- Proofreading Practice
Module 5: Turning Proofreading into a Business
Being a skilled proofreader is not enough. Here you’ll learn how to build your freelance business… which includes things like creating your website and résumé, understanding rates, taxes, how to pitch clients and so on…
- Creating a Website
- A Step-by-Step Guide to Setting up Your Business Website
- Writing Your Résumé
- Setting Your Rates
- Taxes and Incorporating Your Proofreading Business
- Building on Your Proofreading Experience
Module 6: Looking for Jobs
Learn the many ways you can land proofreading clients.
- Proofreading and Freelance Associations
- Social Media
- Social Media Dos and Don'ts
- Online Marketplaces
- Online Profiles
- Writing a Proposal
- Avoiding Scammers
- Don’t Expect Clients to Just Come to You
Module 7: Once You Get the Job
What do you do once you’ve landed a job? In this module you’ll learn how to work with your client’s preferences and develop relationships with editors. You’ll also learn how to bill your clients.
- Starting Off on the Right Foot
- Working with Client Preferences
- A Proofreader’s Relationship with Other Editors on the Project
- How to Bill Your Clients
- Your Reputation
- Asking for Testimonials
Module 8: Getting the Most Out of the Freelancing Life
Learn how to structure your day and build the confidence to succeed.
- Organizing Your Time to Avoid Burnout
- A Day in the Life of a Proofreader
- Gaining Confidence
Module 9: Ignite Plus Exam *(accessible to Ignite Plus students only)
The hand-graded exam evaluates students for aptitude and competence in the practice of general proofreading.
Bonus Module: The Money Mindset Transformation
Learn seven Iife-changing concepts in this Money Mindset Transformation workshop and workbook.
Transcript Proofreading – Theory and Practice
SECTION 1: Theory
Learn the theory of transcript proofreading. This section includes the process of transcript production, the complex role of a court reporter, and in-depth training on punctuation specific to transcription.
Module 1 — Introduction to Transcript Proofreading
- Gain a thorough understanding of the roles and functions of court reporters, scopists, and proofreaders
- Acquire a foundational understanding of how the steno language works
- Understand the skills needed to perform well as a transcript proofreader
- Learn the process of how a transcript becomes a transcript and the role an agency may play in the finished product
Module 2 — The Nuts and Bolts of Transcripts
- Anticipate and recognize the vast array of possible errors that can occur in transcripts
- Become familiar with the vocabulary found in multiple types of proceedings: depositions, EUOs, hearings, trials, interpreted proceedings, and testimony on a variety of topic areas including medical, insurance, product liability, general litigation, among others (includes vocabulary quiz)
- Become well versed in transcript-specific punctuation as laid out in Morson’s English Guide for Court Reporters, Court Reporting: Bad Grammar/Good Punctuation, and The Gregg Reference Manual. Includes individual lessons on transcript-relevant capitalization, punctuation usage, and commonly misused or misspelled words and phrases
- Understand general formatting rules in regard to BY: lines, colloquy, Q&A, marking exhibits, and use of parentheticals
- Fully differentiate between uses of American English spelling/punctuation and
- British English spelling/punctuation within transcripts
SECTION 2: Practice
Students focus on the four most widely used methods of transcript markup. After choosing a method, students perform extensive practice on simulation transcripts at various levels of difficulty.
Modules 3 & 4 — Marking Up Transcripts (Four Methods)
- Learn four methods to properly correct transcripts: hard copy, errata, on a computer, and digitally (paperless) using iOS technology. Advantages and disadvantages of each are discussed at length
- Get comfortable using an iPad equipped with the powerful PDF annotation app iAnnotate
Module 5 — Simulation Transcripts (3,109 pages in 50 simulation transcripts)
- Learn to research proper spelling of people, things, and places within transcripts using a provided notice and other resources, online or otherwise
- Perform a thorough read on each simulation job according to exhaustive proofreading checklist (provided)
- Evaluate personal progress and areas in need of improvement
- Includes punctuation and short transcript quiz (100% score required to continue)
Module 6 — Corresponding Within the Court Reporting Profession
- Communicate effectively, promptly, and professionally with court reporters and agencies regarding issues such as turnaround time (regular and rush), invoicing, vacation time, etc.
- Be fully prepared to meet court reporting professionals’ expectations of proofreaders with outstanding customer service
- Understand the importance of using a customized preference sheet with each reporter, and be able to interpret reporter preferences based on sheet input
Module 7 — Billing and Accounting Procedures, Final Examinations
- Understand billing procedures for work completed, including setting rates, negotiating, and following up on outstanding balances
- Be comfortable operating as a freelancer during tax season
- Be evaluated for aptitude and competence in both the theory and practice of transcript proofreading
Module 8 — Marketing (this module is not accessible until student passes both final examinations with a 90% or higher)
- Learn authentic, personalized marketing methods to connect with potential clients using social media and traditional techniques
- Acquire and polish the skill of overdelivery and exceeding expectations as a proofreader
- Compose a professional résumé to effectively display acquired knowledge and skill
- Learn how to use social media to build a web presence
- Know the dos and don’ts of professional marketing tailored to the court reporting industry
- Includes 25-question marketing concepts quiz
Module 9 — Concluding Lesson
- Learn to identify oneself as a transcript proofreader in order to build confidence in new skills
- Understand the components of a successful freelance business.
Proofread Anywhere Plans and Pricing
7 – Day Introductory e-Course - Free
Ignite - $497
Ignite Plus - $597 (includes hand-graded exam, certificate, listing in self-publishing schools and membership in the Marketing Mastermind Group)
$1174 (a 4-level payment plan is offered so you can pay as you go)
Level 1 - Beginner Basecamp ($77) – Access module 1 for 7 days.
Level 2 – Jumpstart ($197) – Adds module 2 for an additional 30 days.
Level 3 – NextSteps ($400) – Adds modules 3 – 5 for an additional 60 days.
Level 4 – Launch and Earn ($500) – Adds modules 6 – 9 with Lifetime access to the entire course.
What I Like About Proofread Anywhere
- Learn at your own pace (unless you choose the 4-level payment plan offered for the Transcript Proofreading course which has limited time access until you reach level 4).
- Goes much further than the mechanics of proofreading and shows you how to set up a business and market yourself.
- If you’re just getting started, Proofread Anywhere can save you years of frustration and learning by trial error.
- As I researched the course I noticed that Caitlyn had responded to several comments in various blog posts. That’s very rare, and good to see that she is active and willing to address people’s concerns.
What I Don’t Like
- Non-refundable once you log in.
- I hate to pick on the price because courses like these can save you a ton of time and money in the long run, as well as help you demand higher rates from the start. But, it is a lot money for some people and the price will be a barrier for many who could really benefit from Proofread Anywere.
- Unless you create your own course and sell it, proofreading does not have any passive income potential. There are only so many hours in a day, and although there are huge time and cost benefits to working from home… your earning potential is limited.
If proofreading is they type of work-at-home career that interests you, then I highly recommend Caitlyn’s course.
Having said that… for some, it’ll be a significant investment and it might take some time before you start making money. For your investment to pay off you must be committed to the entire process and be certain that this is what you want.