Hi, and welcome to my Yardi Matrix review.
You may have been looking for a way to work-at-home when you stumbled across a rent survey job from Yardi Matrix. If it sounds interesting, I understand. These rent survey jobs captured my curiosity too.
It's not easy to get ahead today, and for some, it can seem impossible. In fact, it can be hard enough just keeping up... forget about getting ahead.
Opportunities like Yardi Matrix are critical in today's economy, and thankfully, there are a lot of work-at-home opportunities out there.
But are they legit or are they a scam?
Working from the comfort of your own home is more than just extra money though. It's also flexibility, independence and potentially what we all want, a little more freedom.
In this review I'm going to go over who Yardi Matrix is, what they do and how they can help you.
The specific topics I'm going to cover are:
- What is Yardi Matrix?
- Are Yardi Matrix Work-at-Home Jobs a Scam?
- How Do Yardi Matrix Rent Survey Jobs Work?
- Yardi Matrix Reviews and Complaints
- What I Like About Yardi Matrix Rent Survey Jobs
- What I Don’t Like About Them
- Where Do You Go From Here?
Please note, I am not a member or an affiliate for Yardi Matrix. This review has been researched with information and/or testimonials that are available online in the public domain. Any recommendations and/or conclusions are strictly opinions and may not apply to, or agree with, all persons or situations. See full disclaimer for more info
What Is Yardi Matrix?
Yardi Matrix has been around for a long time. They were founded in March of 2000 – known at the time as Pierce-Eislen. Yardi Systems Inc acquired them in July of 2013 and changed their name to the Yardi Matrix we know today.
Yardi Systems is a software company that provides real estate industries with applications for collecting data on US properties along with other products (such as research data).
Yardi Matrix, on the other hand, is their division that gathers and compiles that research data for investments professionals, equity investors, lenders and property managers to help them improve underwriting and competitive analysis.
Around 3 times a year (for about 6 weeks each), Yardi Matrix offers seasonal rent survey jobs as work-at-home opportunities. When you apply for their Surveyor position, you’ll be tasked to make phone calls to property owners/agents and get detailed/accurate information about their rental properties.
You can compare their rent survey jobs to call center jobs because your work is centered on making phone calls.
However, the typical virtual call-center job requires you to have a distraction free and quiet workspace. Yardi Matrix is a little more lenient here.
Unlike similar work from home opportunities that prohibit background noise, Yardi Matrix won't give you a hard time about things like yelling kids in the background or barking dogs.
But there's a twist...
Your Yardi Matrix job requires you to pretend to be a potential apartment renter – that’s how you’ll get your information from your contacts. So, background noises are actually encouraged because they make the scene more real.
Yardi Matrix is hiring surveyors several times a year because their clients/subscribers need updated information about the apartment rental market. Unfortunately, they are not hiring all-year, so there are times when these jobs are not available.
If that's the case when you're reading this review but you'd still like to make a little money from home, survey sites like surveyjunkie.com and swagbucks.com won't make you rich, but they're an easy way to get started online.
They can also be a stepping stone to something more serious like an online business.
You may be at home because of difficulties with your health for example, or young ones to look after.
If that’s the case and a full-time income online is what you want, knowing how and where to get started is what you need in order to get what you want.
Are Yardi Matrix Work-at-Home Jobs a Scam?
Yardi Matrix checked out and I have no reason to think they're a scam.
The contact information on their website contains their contact persons, email, office address, phone number, fax number, and office hours.
These are things you rarely if every find on scams, particularly those that are flat-out schemes that provide zero value and only rip you off.
You will also find information on Partners Personnel (the personnel company that hires temporary employees for Yardi Matrix) on their contact page. You can get in touch with them through phone and email and also find their office hours there.
The client side of Yardi Matrix also provides scheduled demos and up-to-date data that industry professionals use on a regular basis.
If this, as well as their transparency are not enough, remember their long-standing presence in the industry. Yardi Matrix has been around in some form or another since the year 2000.
They also provide both National and Local publications on everything from multi-family rental market conditions to the growth and supply of self storage units.
Of course, the distance between "work-at-home" opportunity and "scam" is a pretty short one, and you'd be right to be skeptical. But in this case, Yardi Matrix is legit.
How Do Yardi Matrix Rent Survey Jobs Work?
Working as a surveyor for Yardi Matrix requires you to call apartment communities and conduct surveys by asking them questions. The catch here is that you can’t tell them you’re a surveyor or that you’re working for Yardi Matrix. In fact, you will need to pretend that you’re planning on renting their apartments.
The job is simple, really, but it takes hard work because you’ll need to find out details about the properties you’re inquiring about. You’ll ask them about their prices, special offers/discounts (if any), rules, and more. For example, do they allow pets? You will really need to get into the role of an apartment renter to pull it off, otherwise, your contact person might hang up on you (when they find out that you’re just conducting a survey).
Still interested in Yardi Matrix rent survey jobs? Read on for more details (and I have a lot more to reveal to you before the end of this review).
Yardi Matrix Application
If you want to apply for Yardi Matrix’s rent survey jobs, just send them an email with your updated resume then wait for a response.
If you’re considered for the job, they will send you a PDF manual/guide about working for them as a Surveyor. You are to read this manual/guide and study it well because you’ll also be required to take a test.
I suggest really going through everything in the manual to be able to pass the test. I’ve heard of people taking up to 3 days to study the guide/manual just so they can pass the test.
Once you submit your answers to the exam, you’ll have to wait (again) for their reply. They’ll contact you in a few days to tell you whether you passed or failed the test.
Yardi Matrix Employment Status
You’ll receive an invitation from Yardi Matrix to become one of their Surveyors when you pass their test. You will then be hired as a temporary employee of Partners Personnel.
Partners Personnel is the staffing agency who will give you a temporary job at Yardi Matrix, and as a temporary employee (rather than a freelancer or independent contractor), you’re entitled to a minimum wage.
Yardi Matrix Qualifications for Surveyors
- You must live in the US, be of legal age (above 18 years old), and have valid IDs.
- Experience is not required, but it would surely help if you’ve worked for them (as a Surveyor) before.
- You must be available to work between 9:00 AM and 6:00 PM (time zone of the area being surveyed).
- You must have a computer with high-speed internet connection.
- You must have a telephone with long-distance service.
Some notes on the above qualifications:
- Since you will be conducting your surveys over the phone, having phone etiquette is a must.
- The company also requires high accuracy of information from you.
Yardi Matrix Surveyor Requirements
Here are Yardi Matrix’s requirements for their rent survey jobs:
- For the first week, you should be able to complete at least 25 Done surveys.
- For the second week, you should be able to complete at least 85 Done surveys.
- For the third week, you should be able to complete at least 100 Done surveys.
- For the fourth week onward, you should be able to complete at least 100 Done surveys.
Note that done surveys refer to completed surveys that are marked “done” – meaning no further calls are needed for the task.
Of course, that seems self-explanatory, but surveys that are not considered "done" include...
- Wrong Number
- Partly Done
- Answering Machine/Left Message
- No Answer
Yardi Matrix Pay/Compensation
Yardi Matrix pays their rent surveyors as follows:
- $6.00 per hour
- $0.50 per survey marked Done
- $0.30 per survey marked Wrong Number
- $0.20 per survey marked Part Done
- $0.07 per survey marked Answering Machine
- $0.07 per survey marked No Answer
Here are some things to keep in mind with regards to their compensation plan:
- You’ll receive the minimum wage (per hour) in your area.
- The piece rates (for surveys marked done, wrong number, part done, answering machine, no answer) are all added to your minimum wage per hour.
For a part-time gig you can do at home, these rates are not bad. In fact, you may even be disappointed they don't offer rent surveys all year.
During the months that rent surveys are not available (or if for some reason Yardi doesn't hire you), you can also earn some extra money with online survey sites.
Of course, you won't get rich with rent surveys or online surveys, but if you've never made money from home before, they can be a good place to start.
For something more significant, an online business may be what you're looking for.
Making money from home might be something you need because of medical issues, children to look after, or maybe you're just tired of working for a boss.
If that’s the case, knowing how (and where) to get started is what you need in order to get what you want.
Yardi Matrix Reviews and Complaints
Yardi Matrix has an overall rating of 2.7 out of 5 (based on 44 reviews) on Glassdoor however... this does not necessarily reflect the sentiments of rent surveyors because there were also reviews from office employees and workers with other job descriptions.
Of course, we could whip out the calculator and do some math... but when looking only at the reviews by Rent Surveyors I found that those who gave 3, 4, and 5-star ratings generally liked their stay-at-home status. There were also positive comments about making quick money.
Unfortunately, I also found some negative reviews on Yardi Matrix… Some of the comments made by reviewers were...
- Shrinking paychecks – According to one reviewer, Yardi Matrix used to pay $10 per hour (now they’re only paying $6 per hour). They also used to pay 60 cents for surveys marked done, but now they’re only paying 50 cents for this. Also (and this is according to her review, I haven't verified it), but Yardi Matrix apparently used to give out bonuses when 104 surveys were completed in a week. Now, that number is 130.
- Manual/Guide – According to one reviewer, you’ll need to study a 50-page manual before you can take their test (which is fine, but perhaps it's a bit much for the pay. Just an opinion...)
- No actual training, just instruction – Apparently, there’s no training provided. Most of the things you need to know are in their manual.
- For some people, playing the role of an apartment renter means lying. And you’ll have to do this throughout your working hours (this is absolutely a legitimate concern, but it's something you are made aware of before, not after. And, I suppose an argument can be made that it's not entirely different than a lot of sales jobs in which you're kind of playing a role... but that's a topic beyond the scope of this review).
- Some surveys are time-consuming.
- Setting up your account with Partners Personnel might require some paperwork (what job sign-on package doesn't these days).
- Property owners/agents usually don’t entertain surveyors. And when they sense you’re one, they’ll just hang up on you.
Personally, I believe the reviewers have some really good points, but for the most part as far as I can tell... Yardi Matrix is not hiding anything here. For example, someone might have an issue with the training manual, but they don't spring it on you as a surprise.
Also, many of these negative reviews are a little older and written in 2017, so some may not be applicable. In fact, Yardi Matrix has already made changes in their pay and staffing agency since that time.
What I Like About Yardi Matrix Rent Survey Jobs
- Yardi Matrix is legit.
- Yardi Matrix rent survey jobs are work-at-home opportunities, and who doesn't want to make money from home?
- You’ll have a flexible work schedule as a surveyor.
- At the very least, you’ll get minimum wage. And you can get higher pay through their additional per call rates.
- You’ll be hired as a temporary employee (which comes with some degree of protection, at least more than if you were an independent contractor or freelancer).
- Background noise while working (on phone calls) is OK. I don't know about you, but finding a quiet and distraction free area to work is not always easy.
- They’ll give you a manual/guide to study for their test (upon application).
What I Don't Like
- Although Yardi Matrix is not a scam (and I want to make it clear they are not a scam), they do have some complaints.
- According to a reviewer who worked for them in the past, they used to pay $10 per hour and are now only paying $6 per hour (and in most cases, wages should be going up as the cost of living goes up... wages shouldn't be going down).
Having said that, this claim is unverified.
- Conducting rent apartment surveys is not as easy as it seems. I’m sure there are easy ones, but be prepared, there will likely be some tough ones and rejections too.
- You must be comfortable playing a role (some might say pretending, others might call it lying) because you can’t tell your contacts you’re a surveyor.
- You need to prepare for their test because this will be related to your work as a surveyor. If it’s your first time applying, you might need to study their manual/guide thoroughly first.
- There’s no formal training, so you’ll have to study their manual and figure things out on your own.
Where Do You Go From Here?
Yardi Matrix is legit and their rent survey jobs are also legit.
I'm not sure how you feel about playing a role and pretending so to speak when asking property owners and agents questions, but the information you are gathering is important.
It might not be entirely accurate, but if I had to compare it to something, I'd say it's similar to clinical or educational research where two or more groups believe one thing to be true, but are placed into entirely different situations so the researchers can asses their reactions without bias.
So although you're pretending to be something you're not (a renter), Yardi Matrix in my opinion is not a scam.
For some... and maybe you as well, it's unfortunate this opportunity isn't available year round. I know there have been some complaints, and that's fair. At the end of the day, the purpose of most jobs is to benefit the company, not you. You may even describe your current job that way...
Of course, it's good to have a job, but there are no illusions (especially for readers of this website)... when you're working for someone else, you're playing by their rules, not the other way around, which is why it's nice to earn a little extra on the side with companies like Yardi Matrix, even if they are temporary.
But even though their rental survey jobs are not available year round, there are other ways you can supplement your income from home.
You might be a student in school or a single parent at home for example. You may have health challenges that make regular work difficult, or... like most people, maybe you just hate your job and want more control of your time (and life).
If that's the case, an online business is what you want.
With all the scams and schemes out there though, knowing how and where to get started the right way is what you need in order to get what you want.
If you're just looking to make a few bucks when rental survey jobs are not available, you can also do online surveys.
Sites like Survey Junkie and Swag Bucks will pay you for your opinion and doing small tasks online. They won't make you rich of course, but if you've never made money online before, they can be a good first step.
I hope my Yardi Matrix review has been helpful and if you have any comments, questions, or experience with Yardi Matrix, please share in the comments section below.